How do I correct my sex with Medicare?

In Australia, sex reassignment surgery or hormone therapy are not prerequisites for the recognition of a change of gender in Australian Government records.

Medicare will correct the details of your sex on your Medicare record, when they receive the appropriate supporting documents.

These documents can be any of the following:

  • a statement from a registered medical practitioner or psychologist
  • a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a passport that specifies your sex or preferred gender
  • an amended state or territory birth certificate that specifies your gender
  • a state or territory Gender Recognition Certificate or Recognised Details Certificate showing a state or territory Registrar of Birth Deaths and Marriages has accepted a change in gender.

Update your details with Medicare (external link)

To find your local Medicare Service Centre –